Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The eve of Forty Five

Here I sit, almost alone, on the eve of my 45th birthday. Sports has taken over our lives, once again, and it is just me and my trusty side kick, Jack, for the evening. I know I have been absent from my blog for a couple months and I thought now would be a good time to reflect on the year I have had.

I find it ironic than when I looked back at my blog post from my birthday last year there was none. This time last year, I was in a place of hopeless despair with Jack's school situation, I was in an unhealthy mental and physical state, and I was just getting thru each day. No wonder there wasn't a picture or blog. I didn't want to exist.

The tide started to change after Christmas break when Jack started going to Haugland. It is not always the ideal place for him, but I am so thankful that they can educate him and work on his behavior issues without expelling him every week. Moving him there was a HUGE load off my mind.

Somewhere along the way in the beginning of the year, I decided to not post any negative posts on FB and to over all banish negativity from my conversations. I was going to try to be more like my better half, Tom, and look at the bright side. Find positives in adversity. This was exhausting at first after living a life of "have no expectations and you won't be let down". But day after day, this positive thinking changed my life. It changed every relationship I had and I became a better wife, mother, co-worker, and friend.

Amazing what the mind can do.

Looking back at the top three moments of this last year, they rank in order like this:

My parents moved from NC to the Cincy area. It was a relatively quick move and we have had to learn had to see each other more than twice a year, but it has been a great benefit to me and more importantly my kids.
My folks have been to ball games, birthday parties, and school functions that they have missed the last several years. Though the kids hate to admit it, they like knowing Grammie and PopPop are cheering for them. Grammie has been known to be heard over the rest of the spectators at baseball games. Fruit does not fall far from that tree!

The second best part of my year was getting to see my Junior High best friend, Kathy, over the summer. It was too short of a visit, but it was so good to see her and you would never know it had been decades since we saw each other.

I hope to see her every chance she comes to Ohio.

And last but certainly not least: this year has brought me back to running. I won't get into all the sappy details bcz most of you follow me anyway on FB, but running and the MRTT group has saved my soul. They have made me believe in myself, banish any negative talk, support others the best I can, and I have made some AMAZING friends. I am so utterly blessed to have these ladies in my life. I cannot ask for anything more from the friendship that have given me.








I am so thankful that this year has turned around my life. I am very much looking forward to 45 in 2015 and my story is left unwritten at this point. There is a very good chance I will sign up for a half marathon. I have tasted the koolaide and I am hooked.

I wish you all a fantastic Holiday Season. Find your passion and follow it in anyway you can. Your soul will thank you.

Thanks friends for reading,

Cat
The last blog at 44

No comments:

Post a Comment