Sunday, September 28, 2014

The Reluctant Runner (?)

Hi friends!! Sorry it has been almost two months since my last post. Life has been going full speed ahead with three kids in three different schools, sports, and "leisure time". That last part is a joke, there is no leisure time in our lives.

I have been keeping up my running and the race I "trained for" all summer was last Sunday, The OSU 4 miler. 

I was running with a new friend, Libby, that morning (this seems to be a new, nice habit for me, meeting lots of new friends to run with) and we got there plenty early, had tons of time to chat and meet up with our MRTT group for some fun...

But by the time the race started, a good 3 hours 22 minutes after we had gotten there, I felt a little off. I hadn't eaten anything that morning and was keeping my water intake to a minimum bcz I didn't want to wait in line to pee. I was all ready tired before we even started.

I was excited, though, bcz as we rounded the corner to start, I saw Jack and Tom looking for me! Tom missed coaching a very important game to make sure 1/2 our family was there cheering me on. That made my morning.

I should have easily been able to do 4 miles but I really struggled. Libby was so great with reminding me that my pace was faster than I could maintain and let me walk when I needed to. Libby trains for MARATHONS and here I was killing her pace. I know mentally that took a toll on me as well. Of course she was cheery about the whole thing and I think that made me feel worse!! But thank you Libby for being with me that morning.

Anyway, I finished in the time I hoped I would. Finished on the 50 yard line at 50 minutes.

I was bummed all this past week with my performance and though I try to tell myself "one race does NOT define you", I couldn't squelch down that thought. I thought long and hard this week about running, why I do it, do I even like it, etc. I was getting ready to remove myself from our running group: I would still have my same group of gals I run with, just not in the group.

Then my Messenger started going bezerk. 4 of my very new running friends wanted to know if I would do a MARATHON relay with them in April 2015: we would all run between 4-6 miles and 
make a girls weekend out of it.

I figured they texted the wrong person, I could barely do 4. SIX? They were nuts. But there it was, them asking me to do it. I was floored. Perhaps moved to tears but don't let them know that. I don't want them to know I am a softie.

So in April 2015,I will be sharing a hotel room with 4 gals I met less than a year ago at that point, and completing a MARATHON with them. A FREAKING MARATHON!!

I am also thinking about signing up for a half marathon with my friend April and some of the other MRTT friends. I am still on the fence and need to look at a training schedule to see if it's feasible. I know I can walk some of it so that helps.

I will be over hauling my eating and work out schedule to get me ready for at least 6 miles, perhaps twice that. I know I can do it and I sure as hell don't want to let these 4 gals who believe in me down.

Hope you find the motivation you are seeking to live out some crazy dreams. Surround yourself with people who tell you you CAN. You have no room for Can't people.

I will try to post every week how I am doing and any crazy stuff that comes up. Hope school is going well for your kids and you are all staying healthy!!

Thanks again for supporting me. Would love to hit 50 subscribers this year. I know I CAN!!

With much love,
Cat

2 comments: