Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A good place

Sometimes it is hard to feel like you are in a good place with your life. Kids homework, babies not sleeping thru the night, if at all, kid's illness, car trouble, rising bills, lower pay. We have ALL been there. All of us.

Happiness is not as far as you think. Most of the time, I think it is staring at me, asking me for more pizza, mac and cheese, cold water in a coconut cup, yoga pants from Pink, basketball shoes, a sandwich, a back scratch, clean clothes, a homework answer, a kiss, a hug, some dog food.

This time of year it is really easy to get caught up in what everyone wants for Christmas. Husband and I have been having somewhat serious discussions with the kids about the difference between Wants and Needs. For example: I WANT a laptop but what I really NEED is to come up with a schedule so everyone can take turns on this computer.

Our days of having a kazillion gifts under the tree for the kids is coming to a close. They all want expensive things so that means the get what they want and that is it. And while it may sting a little on Christmas morning when they open their few things and are done quickly, I think they will get over it by lunch time.

We have the kids go thru their toys and clothing to find gently used items to donate every Christmas to several charities and we also help with local food and clothing drives. It is really important for us to instill in the kids how fortunate they are and they should share what they have with those in need.

For my birthday this year, I asked for underwear. Having lost 40 lbs, I really do NEED some new undies. But what I really want? I really want my kids and Husband to be happy and healthy. That's all.
Have a great day and look for happiness all around you. It probably needs you to tie it's shoes right about now.

Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment